You’ve all been waiting for them and here they are – Horse and Rider/Driver Mileage Totals for 2018:
Sad to report The Pine Tree Endurance (Pioneer) Ride for 2020 is being cancelled. Maine’s 14 day quarantine and the limit of 50 people per gathering makes it impossible to hold the ride. Plus we would have to hold it without Art King and we can’t do that! Please join us next year August 10-14, 2021 at Fryeburg Fairgrounds, Fryeburg Maine. (Tentative dates)
To all ECTRA members
As you may know this is ECTRAs 50th Birthday year With all the cancelled rides we are sure you are looking for lots of ways to fill your time. Time to get those creative juices flowing and design a 50th anniversary logo for limited edition T Shirts, Year-End awards, etc.
Here are the rules:
- The competition is open to all current ECTRA members
- Keep it simple as its for a logo
- All entries must be submitted by July 15th
The board will pick the winner. Please submit you entries to Kate Vogel. So get creative and have fun!!
All Ride Managers need to be aware of the additional sanctioning requirements that have been put in place by ECTRA. These can be found HERE
New Rulebook for 2020. See changes below!
Rulebook Changes for 2020 Ride Year
• Section I. W. Specific Rules for Conditioning Distance Rides (CDR) and
Drives (CDD) p.11. The rules for a CDR & CDD will essentially follow the rules
of a standard Competitive Trail Ride (CTR). Scoring, trot out patterns and ride
time will mirror a standard ride. If a pass/fail option is offered such CDR will
essentially follow the rules of the pass/fail option for a CTR. Leg protection, a
simple down and back trot out, no time penalty if time is within 30 minutes of
minimum & maximum and an all in one final vetting. This is not all inclusive
explanation of details. You do need to review the rules in the rulebook.
• Section I. Y. 5. Drug & Medication Rules p.12. The rules were updated by
putting them into a list or outline format. Also the reference to the number of
horses to be tested has been changed to read “The number of Competitive
Events and horses per event to be tested each year shall be determined by
the Drug Testing Committee based on the testing budget available.” And we
changed the name of the committee to reflect the current one, “Drug Testing
• Section I. Z. Protection of Youth p.13. After careful review of the federal
government’s Safer Sports Act, it was decided that our organization was not
required to establish special training programs. However, each state already
has laws in place that require and protect those that report abuse. This
section was added to make sure anyone involved with our sport knows they
have the legal responsibility to report such abuse as well as having a legal
right to specific protection for making such report.
• Section VI. Sanctioning B. Types of Events ECTRA Will Sanction 1.
Limited Distance p. 24. Limited Distance rides will cover one day events
from 25 to 40 miles a day. Previously the limit was 50 miles. We don’t believe
there have been any CTR’s of 50 miles in over 30 years.
• Section VIII Awards G. Junior Awards 1. Limited Distance p. 31. This was
changed to reflect the maximum of 40 miles for 1 day rides as noted in VI.B.1.
• Section VIII Awards G. Junior Awards 2. Multi-Distance p. 31 Previously a
Junior had to complete at least 2 multi-day rides. It now allows juniors who
have only completed 1 multi-day ride to be included in awards for that
• Section VIII. Awards H. Horse Awards Special 4. Rookie Horse Perpetual
Award. p. 31. The definition of a Rookie horse has been clarified with a bit
• Section VIII. Awards J. Member Awards Special 2. Mrs. Mary Coleman
(Web) Award. p. 31. The definition for a Rookie rider has been clarified with a
bit more detail.
• Section IX. Point Schedules p. 34 Additional mileage combinations were
added to the chart to make it easier to figure out points.
• E.C.T.R.A. By-Laws Article V Election of Officers & Directors. p. 36
Revision to permit ballots to be included in newsletter, not mailed; to not
require a ballot vote if a board position or officer is uncontested (only 1
candidate per opening), and to permit electronic voting if the club chooses to
Dear ECTRA Members,
The Board met last night and sadly, but with cause, decided to limit awards for 2020 to Volunteer, Horse and Rider Milestones ONLY. No versatility, rookies, junior, medallions, endurance or Top 10 awards. Mileage accumulated in 2020 (if 100 CTR miles are achieved) will count toward the Decade Team award. We felt due to the COVID-19 situation there will not be enough rides (if any) held this year to allow for fair competition among members.
We also have made the decision to cancel the Getaway which was to be held in February 2021. Without awards, the banquet would not be necessary and financial concerns to hire speakers and hotel costs prompted this decision. We will utilize some of the funds normally spent on the Getaway to ship any milestone awards that might be earned. The Board will meet in person and will hold the annual Member meeting via a platform such as Zoom. Once we make the arrangements for the Board’s meeting place, members will be invited to attend in person although there will be no scheduled activities other than meetings. More details will be provided later this year.
Please stay well. Revel in the simple joy of riding your horse for pleasure and treasure it.
Unfortunately, not a joke: VERDA Brown Bag (May 9th) and Bare Bones (May 10th) are both cancelled.
Update from OD:
BREAKING NEWS: SAVE THE DATE July 24th & 25th
No Frills has been TENTATIVELY APPROVED and rescheduled for July 24th and 25th (Depending on the COVID-19 Status)
We will observe the following precautions:
Entries will be paid in full (by PayPal or credit card) before arriving at the ride (to reduce the personal hand to hand contact)
NO GATHERING for MEETINGS or MEALS… Instead…
Ride Briefing will be handed out in written form
NO MEALS will be served (bring your own food)
No Awards Ceremony (Awards will be handed out by ride manager on a table)
Ft Valley is still ON for October 23rd and 24th (Pending the Covid-19 status)
OTHER Breaking NEWS: SADLY I MUST ANNOUNCE…
The Old Dominion June ride is CANCELLED!!!!! (VA is under strict Stay at Home orders until June 10th making it IMPOSSIBLE to host the BIG June ride June 12th and 13th.
OD Triple Crown: To Complete the OD Triple Crown, The Iron Horse Ride scheduled for September 18th & 19th will be the 3rd leg of the OD Triple Crown. So you must do: No Frills, IRON HORSE, and Ft. Valley.
PLEASE NOTE DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND THE MINIMUM MILEAGE REQUIREMENT HAS DECREASED!
We are all disappointed that our rides are being cancelled because of COVID-19, but we also realize that many of you are still able to get out there and train, hoping for this thing to pass and the rides to be back on schedule. In the meantime we are offering a little something to keep us all motivated and riding – an online mileage program for training rides.
- All riders must be members of ECTRA and their horses must be registered as well.
- Anyone wishing to participate must register by email ahead of time by sending their ECTRA# and their horse(s)’s ECTRA numbers to Jim Theurer.
- Mileage will be recorded per horse if rider rides more than one horse.
- Rides must be done in a single day.
- Rides must be verified by GPS or other ride app that records distance and time.
- Ride records must be emailed to Jim Theurer.
- Rides can be from FIVE to 25 miles and must average 15 minute miles or better.
- Rides do not count for points or official mileage.
- We will total mileage separately for this program.
- This program will start April 1 and end when ECTRA determines it is no longer needed.
Again, this is just for fun but we will post total miles at the end of the program.